Monday, November 2, 2009

Web-based Presentation

I decided to use prezi.com to create my first web-based presentation. I knew right away that I was going to use prezi.com from the video posted on the class website. It was SO COOL! I signed up right away at the end of the video. The registration process was easy and painless. Prezi sent me a link on my email account to finalize the registration and I was ready to go! I first watched a couple informational videos that were recommended by the site. I learned how to add text, draw lines, connect information, upload pictures, etc. Although the videos were helpful and interesting, I was still completely lost when creating my first presentation. The concept of having one blank screen to add all of the information to was completely new for me. In Power Point presentations, each slide is a new topic with new information. However, with Prezi all of the information is created on one blank page and then connected to each other through “paths.” I know that if I was not required to create a web-based presentation in this class, then I would have probably given up and gone back to a Power Point right away. However, with a little time and effort, I am starting to really get used to the program and am loving the uniqueness of it.

I wanted to create a presentation about the elements of plot in a story since this is something that I teach my students during the first half of the year. Prezi allowed me to create a line to show the plot diagram and progression of elements. I was able to manipulate each item by using the “place” button. After selecting “place,” you can maneuver each item whether it is a picture, drawing or text so that it is the right size and location. Text can be created in any location and in different sizes, fonts, and formats. Pictures and diagrams can be uploaded from your computer. I did not use this feature because I had nothing applicable on file to enhance the presentation. The best feature is the “paths” tool where you can sequence the presentation for the viewer. I was able to clear the paths that I created after seeing how they were displayed in the presentation and could easily make new ones that were more effective.

Once your presentation is complete, it can be saved and downloaded onto your computer. I found this process to be quick and easy. However, the file will originally save in an extremely remote location so that you will never be able to find it. Therefore, I suggest copying the folder and pasting it to your desktop or documents for more efficient access. I also love that the presentation is always a work in progress. You can go back and change anything you want to on your presentation at any time and re-save.

Overall, Prezi is an excellent web-based presentation application. The look of the presentation can be really amazing and the fact that the presentation is interactive really makes the learning effective. Unfortunately, it does take a while to learn how to utilize the features. But once you understand how all of it work, the final product is really amazing!

Other reviews:
http://www.rethinkpresentations.com/prezi-review-more-than-buzz/
http://www.appappeal.com/app/prezi/
http://alikuru.com/prezi-early-review-will-definitely-change-your-mind-about-other-presentation-tools/

No comments:

Post a Comment